There have been many surgeries in which medics got to remove many things from patients. And trust me, I am not talking about things like surgical tools in which they forgot themselves. I am not talking about bullets or fishbone that got stuck in people. I am talking about really crazy things that doctors removed from patients.
Among these are things that one cannot explain how they got there, or the explanation of how they got there may be entirely dumb. Here are 11 crazy things doctors removed from patients.
1. Plastic Fork
How possible is it that you will swallow a plastic fork and end up not knowing? Well a man, John Manley has shown how very possible that is. The man who had been suffering from a constant cough and worsening breathing problems for months decided to see a doctor to check what was wrong.
Scared that the man could as well be having a cancer of the lungs, doctors rushed him in for an x-ray of his chest. The scan revealed what appeared to be a growth. When the man was rushed in for a surgery, fortunately, it turned out that it was only a plastic fork to the surprise of everyone. How did it end there? He swallowed it from a fast food outlet.
2. Donny Osmond poster
This is a case of a wrong thing found in the very wrong place. According to BBC3’s Bizarre ER, a British woman who apparently was a fan of the American singer Donny Osmond, got herself in the hospital complaining that she had a lower abdominal pain in 2010.
Interestingly enough, when doctors worked on her, it was found that she inserted a rolled photo of the majestic 70’s pop star in her private parts and that was the problem.
3. Sex Toy
On a very passionate night, Emily Georgia decided to help herself to some sex toy. The unfortunate thing, however, was that the 20-year-old got carried away until the stainless toy disappeared into her. After she was rushed to the hospital, an X-ray revealed that the instrument had already gone high in her.
“It was already in my bowel bashing me about and because it’s made of stainless steel, it felt really heavy and uncomfortable,” she said.
Her real fears came when doctors told her she risked having a colostomy bag. Luckily, they were able to have the stuff removed from her.
4. Melon-sized hairball
This giant ball was taken out of a 38-year-old woman who visited the hospital after suffering from constipation and an enlarged abdomen. After doctors had a scan done on her it revealed that she had a massive ball in her. Shockingly, it was a giant massive hairball that was removed from her after a surgery was carried out. Guess how it came by. She was suffering from Rapunzel syndrome, which is a condition that makes people eat their hair.
No, I’m not taking of a fish swallowed in food or even a dead one. I am talking of a living fish that swam into a man through his anus.
The man who was rushed to the hospital due to signs of a high temperature, low blood pressure and severe stomach pain didn’t waste time to tell medics how he got drunk and decided to put two pond loaches into his backside.
Unfortunately for him, one of the two fishes that was eager for an escape decided to swim through and he went under the knife to have the fish removed. Somehow, both the fish and the man managed to survive the ordeal, even though the man was transferred to intensive care after the surgery to be treated for a serious infection the fish had caused.
Of the things doctors removed from patients what seem to be things, people put into themselves in the name of getting some sexual pleasure. One that beats many is this case of a man from whom doctors removed a vibrator which held up in his rectum after he slipped it in there. At first he tried taking it out with salad tongs and other smaller items but he wasn’t successful.
7. A Fetus
This would have been very normal except that doctors removed it from a man. The Indian man, Sanju Bhagat from Nagpur, got to notice a growth in his stomach since he was a child, but he didn’t have much worries about it since it didn’t cause him any problems.
Nevertheless, he was soon to develop a breathing problem which had him rushed to the hospital. To the surprise of doctors who were sure the growth must have contributed to the breathing problem, what they found in him was a fetus instead of the tumor they had first suspected. The explanation was that he must have absorbed it when he was in the womb.
That was 36 years after he was born.
8. 200 Stones
As much as 6 hours was the time Surgeons at Guanji Hospital, in Hezhou, China, put in on a surgery that saw them removing as much as 200 stones from a woman. The stones which were removed from the woman’s gallbladder and liver had some that were as large as small eggs.
The 45-year-old woman only as Ms. Chen had noticed the problem 10 years before the surgery, but when doctors told her she needed to have a surgery, she got scared and fled off. Years later it hunted her as the pain became unbearable.
The cause of the stones accumulating in the woman was given as her eating habit.
9. 40 Knives
After two months of swallowing knives, a 42-year-old man was forced to go under the surgeon’s knife where as much as 40 knives were taken out of him.
The man who had an uncontrollable urge to swallow the metal went to a hospital in Gurdaspur in Northern India where he complained of stomach pain and weakness. Sure, he left the fact that he had spent a lot of time swallowing the unthinkable.
“I’m sorry I let my family down,” the father of two said. “I’ll be forever thankful to doctors and hospital staff for saving my life.”
10. 27 Contact Lenses
This may be surprising but it is actually true that doctors removed as much as 27 contact lenses from a woman’s eyes who have forgotten she had left them there.
The 67-year-old woman went to the hospital for an eye problem and doctors decided to carry out a surgery on her for a different thing; cataract. It was at that point that they realized what she had in her eyes.
“None of us have ever seen this before. It was such a large mass. All the 17 contact lenses were stuck together. She was quite shocked. She thought her previous discomfort was just part of old age and dry eye,” a specialist trainee in ophthalmology, Rupal Morjaria, revealed.
11. Live Cockroach
This happened in India where a domestic worker living in Injambakkam woke up in the night to realize that something had crawled into her nostril and had already gone deep inside for her to remove it. After she was taken to the Stanley Medical College Hospital, doctors found out after a nasal endoscopy that there was a cockroach that has made its way close to her skull.
Doctors soon went to work and had the live insect removed without any need for a surgery and without causing any damages.